Thursday, August 28, 2014

Zippy Zapped!

Probably a couple of weeks ago, now, I got an unexpected envelope in the mail from the famous Zippy Zappy from Cervin' Up Cards. Kenny has been cleaning up his collection to focus more on prospects and, in particular, his Staten Island Yankees, so I guess part of his housecleaning involved getting rid of the cards that he sent to me.

Before I start, though, I would be remiss if I did not celebrate the beginning of the SEC football season -- and the SEC Network's real kickoff -- with the matchup between the cult from College Station and the South Carolina GameSpurriers from Columbia, South Carolina.  I'm a lucky man in many respects. My wife is a huge college football fan -- albeit an Auburn Tiger.  The great thing, though, is that her two uncles and her grandmother are all Georgia fans like me, and my wife cheers for Georgia so long as Georgia isn't playing Auburn.

I'll be at the game against Clemson on Saturday (I have season tickets, after all), so here's a rendition of the Georgia fight song for that:


On to the cards!













To be sure, I had a few of these cards already. Also, I'm not sure if there were three different Jean Segura Bowman Platinum cards or just two different. The scans look like three different, but I couldn't tell a difference between two of them in person. And, while the Matt Garza auto is him with the Twins, I like that card because he just looks so damn YOUNG there!

The Braun relic is a mini relic, and anytime you go with 1975 mini colors/looks, it's a good thing.

Finally, I'm hoping that Brandon Diaz turns into a good player. He's a long way away, to be fair, as he is a 19-year-old in the Pioneer League in Helena, Montana. He's not hitting a bunch there (.260/.346/.363 in Rookie League is nothing to jump for joy about even if he is a year-and-a-half younger than the average player), though he appears to be a real speed merchant.  He has some time to improve, though, so we'll see where he is next year. 

Zippy Zappy, thank you VERY much for the great cards.  Y'all enjoy the football this weekend, and I'll be checking in with y'all over the weekend.

Goooooooooooooooooooooo Dawgs! Sic 'em! Woof woof woof woof!

3 comments:

  1. Zippy Zappy is the man! He always sends cool prospect cards.

    My damn brother is making me drive down to North Carolina Saturday for his wedding. You can tell he isn't a WVU guy. Thankfully my wife is a WVU grad like myself so we are leaving bright and early to make it in time to watch the game. I hope we don't embarrass ourselves against Bama. Maybe Nick Saban will take it easy since he is from WV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a huge college football fan, but going to the fame sounds like fun. Enjoy the game

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed the cards. Hopefully I can send you a better package that'll pack a bigger punch next time :).

    ReplyDelete