Monday, March 10, 2014

A Goudey, and the Last of the Nostalgia Box Breaks

I've posted before about the 2013 A&G and the 2008 Goudey boxes I opened up on Saturday.  I missed one card I meant to post from that Goudey box, though.  I was very, very excited when I felt a penny loader in one of the Goudey packs, because I knew that probably meant something good was in the pack.  And I was right:



That card is the first card I have ever owned that was printed before World War II.  Seriously, I have never owned a card older than the mid-1950s because, well, no one in my family ever collected anything like baseball cards.  To be honest, those pre-Topps/Bowman cards were ones I discounted ever being able to collect.

Now, however, I am the proud owner of exactly one card from the 1930s.

I also ripped a hobby box of 2008 Allen & Ginter on Saturday.  My wife soon will start asking me questions about how much I have spent, I feel assured, but she hasn't yet.  Thank God.

Anyway, I really liked the 2008 box -- probably even more than the 2013 box.  The 2008 set seemed to have fewer of the non-sports stuff.  Don't get me wrong -- I like the fact that Topps stayed true to the original set and has these different kinds of cards in them.  Admittedly, I am not as much of a shark fan as others are, but, hey, it's fun to see a Great White Shark mini staring up at you.


It was surreal, though, to see the shark right before Friedrich Nietzsche.  I have tried to read some of his philosophy, but I just haven't done it.  But still, I'm disappointed I won't have an autographed version of this card:

It's almost too bad that Nietzsche wasn't in the same pack as our present day equivalent:
I got both the black-bordered mini and the regular-sized Les Miles, as if to rub in the fact that LSU won the (mythical) National Championship for the 2007 college football season despite probably being the second best team in the SEC to the Matthew Stafford-led Georgia Bulldogs.  My season tickets came in handy that year in Athens.

The other great thing about the 2008 box was the fact that I did far better than the math would suggest when it came to relics.  Here they are:



I mean, three relics of decent-to-really good players is nothing to sneeze at, even with the Hawaiian shirt-inspired framing.

As with anything not of the Milwaukee Brewers, I'll part with this stuff in the right trade.

Thanks again for reading.

2 comments:

  1. I'm no LSU fan but I'll give props to Miles for not being another button down, speak in cliches, cookie cutter football coach. The world can only stand so many Nick Sabans and Bill Belichicks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Randy Moore is gorgeous. It looks like it was pulled from a pack yesterday. I don't think I have any Goudey cards in the collection. I might need to start researching players on the checklist and add one to my wantlist.

    ReplyDelete