Thursday, February 13, 2014

Thursday Hit Parade: We've Got Lovely Pre-Owned Cards Here

The first time I opened up a more recent pack of a base set of cards in my post-college life, it was 2010. On a lark of sorts, I bought three or four boxes of 2010 Series 1 Topps on Amazon.  As I started opening the packs, I kept getting these "Toppstown.com" inserts.  Every so often, I'd get some other kind of card -- "History of the Game", "Turkey Red", and "Million Card Giveaway" inserts, among others.  I even got an autographed card from some Minnesota Twins pitcher I'd never heard of at the time (and I've barely heard of now, Jose Mijares, who is already in the "non-roster-invite" stage of his career).

Here it is:
If you like this card, it's available.
Getting the inserts was sort of cool.  I'm still trying to figure out whether these "hit" cards are worth anything other than to individual player collectors, though.  I mean, I worked through my Robin Yount need list over the past day or so of being off work thanks to the Great Biblical Atlanta Ice Storm of Feburary 2014(R) and I am blown away at the ridiculous number of alternate versions of cards that the folks at Upper Deck, Donruss, and Topps were putting out in the early '00s -- especially 2005.  I think as many Younts exist from 2005 as there are for the entire period that Yount was an active player -- 1973 through 1993.

At any rate, rather than be a curmudgeon and complain about the "good old days" of the junk wax era when kids would take the star cards and leave the rest in piles on the counter of the ubiquitous corner baseball card store, I'm going to embrace these "hits."  Maybe it's like karaoke -- you sing the hits of the Topps Turkey Red! -- but it's at least a way for me to get your attention and try to get some cards I need off my want lists.

So, with no further adieu, I'm singing the hits today of the First Class Trip to Topps Town Inserts.  I have a few of these that I'd love to trade to a good home in return for some good Robin Yount, or Paul Molitor, or Gary Carter, or other Milwaukee Brewer cards.  

Here's three for today:

1.  Albert Pujols: FCTTT14


2.  Brian McCann FCTTT11


3.  CC Sabathia FCTTT23


If you're interested in a trade for one or more of these guys, leave a comment in the comments below or e-mail me at off (dot) hiatus (dot) baseball (at) gmail (dot) com.  

Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment