Monday, February 17, 2014

Box Breaks

Over at the fantastic Nachos Grande blog, I decided to get involved with my first ever group box break via the Internet involving a box each of 2000 Topps Tek, 2000 Topps Stadium Club Chrome, 2001 Topps Stadium Club, 1995 Fleer Flair, and 1999 Topps Gallery.  Coming to the game late meant that Cards from the Quarry had finagled a deal to claim the Brewers in lieu of his Rockies' mortal enemies, the Diamondbacks.

In fact, I got involved so late that I ended up buying a 2011 Allen & Ginter base set as part of my selection. In the end, I ended up selecting the Diamondbacks, the Twins, and the Blue Jays.  I had no rhyme nor reason for why I picked each team other than thinking that the Diamondbacks in those years had some pretty good star power in Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson, some fun former Brewers and eventual Brewers -- such as Milwaukee native Craig Counsel and West Salem native Damian Miller along with my one-time favorite reliever Dan Plesac being there in 1999 and 2000 -- and the D-backs won the World Series in 2001.

I picked the Blue Jays on the off chance of picking up some Paul Molitor cards I don't have (from the 1995 and 1999 boxes) and I thought maybe I would get lucky and get an early Roy Halladay card. Also, I saw a three-game series at the Rogers Centre back in 2008 against the Royals (who were awful) so I have had an affinity for the club since.

Finally, the Twins.  Well, maybe there will be a Paul Molitor card in there?  Or an early David Ortiz? That's all I got here.  Or, maybe there is a Twins blogger I could trade with.  I guess the Twins just seemed like a good idea at the time, I suppose.

Anyway, I have started anxiously awaiting the posts breaking open the boxes.  So far, I have not done too badly.  It's never bad to get a serial numbered card, but then I got two -- TWO!! -- 2000 Topps Tek serial numbered cards of some Blue Jay prospect from the late 90s called "John Sneed" who never got past throwing one inning at AAA Edmonton in the Minnesota organization in 2002.  To top it off, I then got a Topps Stadium Club Chrome of him as well.

If John Sneed is out there and reads this at any point in time, you should have gotten a shot.

John Sneed.  Texas A&M Aggie.
This is Sneedland.























My breakdown of cards so far is:

1995 Fleer Flair
1.  #95 Joe Carter (Blue Jays)
2.  #96 Tony Castillo (Blue Jays)
3.  #60 Pat Meares (Twins)
4.  #59 Pat Mahomes (Twins)

2000 Topps Tek
1.  #42-4 John Sneed 1515/2000 (Blue Jays)
2.  #42-15 John Sneed 0146/2000 (Blue Jays)
3.  #41-15 Ruben Salazar 0943/2000 (Twins)
4.  #41-1 Ruben Salazar 0823/2000 (Twins)
5.  #22-9 Randy Johnson (D-backs)

2000 Topps Stadium Club Chrome
1.  #170 Steve Finley (D-backs)
2.  #178 Jay Bell (D-backs)
3.  #153 Carlos Delgado (Jays)
4.  #174 Tony Fernandez (Jays)
5.  EG1: Eyes of the Game Randy Johnson (D-backs)
6.  #130 Omar Daal (D-backs)
7.  #141 Cristian Guzman (Twins)
8.  #165 Randy Johnson (D-backs)
9.  #216 Rob Ryan (D-backs)
10. #148 Luis Gonzalez (D-backs)

I am really enjoying this process of going through these packs a lot, and I'm hoping that I continue getting pretty nice cards along the way.  The great thing is that I don't think I have any of these cards at all, so all of them are new to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment