Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Oddball from the Card Show

Sometimes, I think I'd rather be a type collector rather than being a player collector. I love seeing and having oddballs, regional cards, and random items almost as much as I love collecting Brewers cards.  Maybe in the future I'll go down that path.  

I'm a total sucker for oddballs. If you've ever gotten a trade package from me, you know I like to stuff those oddballs I have for your collection.  So, when I ran across an unopened box oddball at the card show, I had to get it.


The massive 2011 Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards describes these as follows:
These 4-1/4" x 6" cards were something new. Printed on plastic, rather than paper, the player picture on the card is actually raised above the surface much like might be found on a relief map; a true 3-D baseball card.
At my local card show, I started talking to one of the guys who is a vendor there. Turned out he and I had graduated from college a year apart at the same school, though I didn't play the name game too much with him.  But, he sold me a completely unopened box of these 3-D Stars -- 24 packs in total -- for $5.  

I wasn't really familiar with this set before buying it, and one look at the checklist told me why:

No Brewers.  That explains a lot.  But it's a very good checklist for a 1985 set. Outside of perhaps a few guys (maybe Mike Boddicker -- who, in fairness, was coming off two seasons in which he went 16-8 for the World Series Champion 1983 Orioles and 20-11 and an AL ERA Title in 1984, or Dave Kingman) -- the checklist is fairly packed with stars and superstars.  

I have only opened a few of these so far -- I found my Gary Carter in the first few packs I opened -- and unsurprisingly they don't really scan all that well. But, here are a couple of examples.

Cal Ripken Jr.


Rickey Henderson


Darryl Strawberry


Boy, is that Strawberry scan an unflattering view.

Like I said, when it comes to oddballs, I just can't help myself sometimes.

I've also opened packs containing Jim Rice, Pete Rose, and Don Mattingly in addition to Carter.

So, anyone want one of these?

10 comments:

  1. I think I saw these somewhere. Based on the checklist it's definitely something for the 80's kids (aka the grown ups who actually have money now).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, as an 80s kid, I resemble that remark.

      Delete
  2. I have some of these in my collection and would love to find a home for them... you're more than welcome to them if you're interested, as is anyone else. I have Kingman, Valenzuela, Rickey Henderson, Gwynn, Seaver, two Reggie Jacksons, Gary Carter, two Schmidts, Keith Hernandez, Dave Stieb, and two Eddie Murrays.

    I actually just sent a Dale Murphy off in a trade package last week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no thanks -- but you might consider talking to Jared at Catching up with Collecting! I was glad to see you have the Sandberg already when I looked!

      Delete
  3. These are awesome! $5 is a steal. I'd buy that all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the Redsox I need. I believe there were two years they were issued. No idea how to store or display these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either. They have stickers on the back to stick them to a wall or something...like that's a good idea. I need to get you some cards.

      Delete
  5. I picked up the Reggie and Steib cheap off Listia a year ago. Kinda creepy cards from certain angles. I was thinking about doing a quick post on them one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With your gif-fing skills, you could have some real fun with these. Imagine that Goose Gossage in 3D.

      Delete
  6. If you get a Keith hernandez or another gary carter i would like them.

    ReplyDelete