Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Trade Baiting Me

The World of Blogging really does not seem to be too different from the world off the computer. There are always some people -- whether you know them well or not -- to whom you feel a bit stronger of an affinity than perhaps other people. Whether there is a reason for it or not, that tie is there.

Now, I don't even know if this is true for him, but I have always felt that affinity for my pal Stealing Home of the blog All Trade Bait, All The Time. SH was one of the first people that I traded with a couple of years ago when I first started blogging and getting involved in this incredibly cool world. 

Today's post is a thank you to him for a current trade, but it's also a thank you for the times we have traded in the past.

First, a current card:


That's a Prince Fielder Die-Cut Upper Deck X. I think that one goes in my "inserts" binder, which I have yet to get a real start on.

So, when SH and I first worked out a trade two years ago in March, I still had a bit of trepidation about trades -- I was very concerned about "fairness" and "value" and also with making sure I didn't get "ripped off." I was certain that someone would comment quickly about a trade that I got ripped off and make fun of me for that. I'm not sure why that was -- I don't think I've ever seen anyone post like that anywhere. So when SH and I traded for the first time, I was overjoyed with how generous he was. 

B.J. Surhoff 1995 Score Gold Rush
People like him helped me feel comfortable with loading up envelopes and mailing stuff to people I have never met in person before (for the most part...I have traded with three fellow bloggers who live in the Atlanta area) and not being all that concerned with being absolutely positive about "getting fair value" or "not getting ripped off."

I celebrated that first trade with SH back in April of 2014 with one of my first true music/card posts. The positive response to that post also encouraged me to continue abusing all of y'all's ears with music I like or find.

Greg Vaughn 1994 Donruss Triple Play
Thankfully, SH has good taste in music. I didn't have to put up any 98 Degrees or NKOTB or Justin Bieber or Simply Red. It was good stuff.

Really good stuff.


It is difficult to go wrong with Social Distortion -- a band I first heard during my freshman year at college a little more than 25 years ago. As this song says -- and as SH's trading reminded me -- you only wanna do what you think is right, but close your eyes and it's past...the story of my life.

Dave Nilsson 1995 Leaf Limited
Life really does go by so fast. The great thing is that people like SH exist in our little blog world, passing along cards we need, reminding us of music we love (or introducing us to music we may learn to love), and maybe even introducing us to beers we need to try. It's all about making life good, enjoyable, treating others well, and hoping that we have a positive impact on the world around us.

1988 Topps UK Mini of Paul Molitor
That feeling of connectedness with our fellow bloggers -- that is really what this is all about to me. It makes me happy to be a part of such a generous group of people. It genuinely upsets me when something that has positive intentions is made to look negative by others -- whether because they are not a part of the positive side of things or because, well, all they have in their life is darkness.




I used to be a much more negative person -- very pessimistic, seemingly always finding that black cloud for the silver lining I'd been shown. I don't know when that changed for me exactly, but it did change. I sometimes have to kickstart my brain to get out of the negative to find a positive spin on things. But, when all is said and done, this hobby is a reminder of the fact that most of the time we can trust the positive.



This Robin Yount relic from 2001 started this whole trade out between SH and me. It is a photo of Yount in the late 1990s Brewers uniform -- probably after he retired.

I am very appreciative of this great trade package from SH. Remembering the positives in our hobby is a great thing, and appreciating the incredibly positive folks like SH is even greater.

Thanks again, my friend!

5 comments:

  1. Those Gold rush cards are so great. I remember thinking BJ Surhoff was THE answer to our problems when the Braves acquired him

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome cards, and even better musical choices. Two songs I absolutely love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The feeling's mutual, brother - and it was a great trade to add to our history.

    When I first started trading I had the same trepidation, but the bloggers before me had already constructed this cool community. All I did was continue the tradition.

    I'm honored that you remember our trades so well, Tony. Like I said, the feeling's mutual, pal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about the value thing. I don't struggle with feeling I'm going to get ripped off but that I'm not going to fulfill my side of the deal enough to have people trade with me again... That said, having a few repeat traders lessens that feeling somewhat

    ReplyDelete
  5. SH and I traded very early as well. Great trader and even better person.

    ReplyDelete