Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Living in Enemy Territory

Living in Atlanta as a Brewers fan isn't too bad, for the most part. I'm disconnected from the day-to-day crap that can inhabit fans from local news and local sports radio, so it's easier to come to my own conclusions about things going on in Brewerland. At the same time, I am also living in a city that really does not have any strong feelings about the Milwaukee Brewers. Braves fans generally think of Milwaukee as that place that the Brewers came from and that's really it.

On the other hand, living in Chicago -- especially the north side of town -- cannot be easy. Sure, Cubs fans will claim that they really don't care about the Brewers, that their rivals are the Cardinals. Historically, yes, that is accurate. But I would venture to guess that the next few years will make Cubs fans dislike the Brewers more and more.

I bring this up because I recently traded with a fellow Brewers collector, Robb a/k/a Brewers 792 (whether at his blog or on Twitter). I sent Robb a bunch of my early Brewers duplicates, and he filled in some gaps in my collection for me with some old and some more recent. Robb is the man who lives on the north side of Chicago, so he has to live among our enemies. So, let's see what Robb sent me with some appropriate music.

 Let's start with the recent cards:


Scott Podsednik would not have had a baseball career in the major leagues without the Brewers. He was drafted by the Rangers out of high school in 1994. He played a couple of years in their system before being the player to be named later in a trade to bring back prodigal son Bobby Witt to Arlington. Two years later, the Rangers suffered from seller's remorse and grabbed him back through the Rule 5 draft. He struggled to stay healthy and/or play well in reaching Double-A Tulsa in 1999 (a .155/.190/.190 slash line in 123 plate appearances is pretty bad) and the Rangers cut him. 

Seattle signed him, and he played well in a couple of years at Triple-A, but Seattle had enough outfielders in 2000 and 2001, so he only got 31 plate appearances in the majors. So, after his age-26 season, the Brewers plucked him off waivers. He impressed greatly -- .314/.379/.443 in 628 plate appearances led him to finish second in the rookie of the year race in the NL in 2003 behind Marlins phenom Dontrelle Willis. Pods only lasted 2 seasons in Milwaukee before being traded for Carlos Lee to the White Sox, though, so he's just a fan-favorite footnote from a period when fan favorites were tough to come by.

The White Sox...yeah, they used to be big enemies.


The one time I ever attended a White Sox/Brewers game in Milwaukee, the bleachers about a section over from where we were sitting looked pretty similar to the end result of this Shinedown band meeting. Those games in the days when folks could easily get overserved at the game -- it was, after all, the days of the origins of the Two-Fisted Slopper at County Stadium -- led to tons of fights and arrests. It's tough to describe, but Milwaukee people and Chicago people don't always get along all that well.


The late 1990s and early 2000s is a common black hole for many of us who left collecting as younger men or youths and came back in the past 5 to 10 years. So, these UD Choice, a Turnbow SP Authentic, and a random Pacific of Jeromy Burnitz were greatly appreciated. 

As an aside, that same time period featured the worst Brewers uniforms ever. I'm not a huge fan of the current uniforms either, but they were tons better than that weird ass font that the team used then. I'm pretty glad that none of the card companies even bothered showing Milwaukee in that timeframe.


I'm thinking that Butch Vig would agree with me that the Cubs and White Sox are the enemies. As his band Garbage with the lovely Shirley Manson tells us, "Sex Is Not the Enemy." Remember -- Butch Vig and his band mates other that Shirley (Duke Erikson and Steve Marker) are all originally from Madison, Wisconsin. They may not care about baseball, but that's not important here.


The true highlights from this package were these awesome Milwaukee Braves from 1960 (and one thrown in from 1958 too). It's not often you get a 58 year-old card of a Hall of Famer in a trade package, but there's that Red Schoendienst to make that happen. Throw in future manager Chuck Cottier -- whom I would have sworn was much younger than his 48 years old when he took charge of the 1984 Seattle Mariners near the end of that season. Those lines on Chuck's card are on the card too, which I suppose makes it okay that this one here ended up being a second copy of a card for me. 


This was actually the song in my head that got me started on the path of finding songs about enemies. Green Day is total pop punk, which means to me that their version of punk is less nihilistic and more hook-filled and lighter. 

Still, I bet Robb really knows a ton of our enemies living in the midst of them. To be fair, it still seems weird to me to dislike the Cubs since I didn't grow up with them being the focus of boyhood hatred -- that role was reserved for the New York Yankees and, to a lesser extent, the Chicago White Sox. 

Thanks, Robb, for the great cards. Everyone else -- be sure to follow him on Twitter and try to cajole him into blogging again. 

15 comments:

  1. Brewers-Sox at the stadium make Brewers-Cubs at MP look like high tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No shit. It was the only time in my life that I felt real fear for my safety at a public sporting event.

      Delete
    2. In fact, I might need to dig into the Journal and Sentinel archives for a post about that stuff.

      Delete
    3. The Crew come down here to play the Sox the first weekend of June. I've been to several Sox games, but this will be the first time seeing my boys play there.

      Delete
  2. Nice always great to get another Brewer collector in the fold. I just looked at Robb's need list and boy can I get rid of some cards! I'm almost done sorting through the last of my unsorted Brewers cards picking out the ones I don't have cataloged and just found another box of Brewers cards I had squirreled away. But when that project gets done I will attack both of your want lists! It's funny I think I might be the only Brewers collector up here in Alaska, but the place is a melting pot of fandom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously hit him up on Twitter. I probably could have sent him a Priority Mailer full of cards!

      Delete
    2. Thanks guys. I'm always up for trades.

      Delete
  3. +1 for the Garbage reference. I've been obsessed with that band for 20-plus years. It will come up on my blog in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been a big fan of Garbage since the 1990s. I wouldn't say I'm obsessed, but as I listen to more of their music, I like the band even more.

      Delete
    2. Another +1 for Garbage. I was obsessed with the first two albums while I was in college. I saw them at the Rave in Milwaukee on their first tour and it's still one of the best shows I've ever been to.

      Delete
    3. When I lived in Madison in the late 90's/early 2000's, I would see the Garbage guys around town all the time, but never ran into Shirley. I stood behind Steve Marker in line at Best Buy while he bought a Stanley Kubrick box set. They had a side project called the Know-It All Boyfriends that played at Café Montmartre all the time. Pre social media, it wasn't really promoted that these guys where the same guys from Garbage, so you'd show up to see a random band and there they were.

      Delete
    4. I'm guessing Shirley probably went back home to Scotland when the band wasn't touring.

      The only show I ever saw at the Rave was Oasis in 1995. Great venue.

      Delete
    5. The Rave is a great venue. I've seen more shows there than I can remember. I'm a huge Oasis fan. My wife and I just went to see Noel Gallagher at the Chicago Theatre last week.

      Delete
  4. I've seen WVU fans do some unholy things to visiting fans when I was young. Thankfully those incidents are a thing of the past.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHtppfLXzXE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about RATM too for this post, but I went with Shirley Manson's obvious allure over Zach de la Roche and Tom Morello. :-)

      Delete