Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Walking on a Thin Line

Most everyone knows Matt from Bob Walk the Plank. He and I started blogging within about 10 days of one another back in 2014. That means that I forgot to celebrate my four-year anniversary of blogging earlier this month. Hey, I remembered my wedding anniversary for the 7th straight year -- cut me some slack. There's only room for one anniversary in my brain, I guess.

At any rate, Matt sent me a couple of cards as maybe a blog birthday gift or just because or since I decided to post more than once a month after college football season finally ended for UGA. And while the envelope Matt sent was small, the cards he sent packed a punch.

Let's start with the card that wasn't serial numbered first:


The man Haderade. Josh Hader is an interesting pitcher for the Brewers this year. He came up through the Orioles, Astros, and Brewers systems mostly as a starter. Sure, both the Orioles and Astros had times where they controlled his innings-pitched by having him work out of the bullpen, such as his first season as a pro back in 2012 and his two seasons in the Astros organization (2014 and 2015). But with Milwaukee, he has been groomed as a starter -- all 44 of his Brewers MiLB appearances have been as a starter.

Then, he makes it to the majors throwing gas out of the bullpen in an Andrew Miller-type role last year. It would be nice to see him get a shot at the rotation this year, but that does not appear to be something that the team is considering right now. Is he more valuable in the pen, or in the rotation? It's a fine line.


Or a Thin Line, even. Huey Lewis and the News were totally among my favorite bands in the mid-1980s. Sports is a great album, and every boy I knew wanted that basement that is pictured on the cover. You can tell this because all the yahoos with "Man Caves" have almost exactly that set up as their "man cave."


Next up is Ben Sheets Fleer Box Score parallel from 2002 serial numbered to 100. Where do you find these cards, Matt? Just trolling on eBay for cheap serial numbered stuff? Picking up an extra card to save on shipping? I guess I don't spend enough time on eBay (despite my recent spree of random items bought there). 

Anyway, this one is a great addition to the Ben Sheets collection. I'm still thinking about where my collecting goes from where it is now and going into the future in large part because Topps these days really isn't about anything but maximizing profits for themselves and for their favored breakers. I mean, they threw their own industry convention last week. Is that normal?


I guess it is and has been for years. I know that baseball cards is not what Kanye is rapping about here, but it really is true that "most of all we at war with ourselves." The divisions are weird and growing. I used to talk by email and on Twitter with Matt all the time, and my falling away from the hobby has made it feel like a division built up there.

There isn't one, mind you, but sometimes it feels like there is. That's what's weird about it.


To prove there isn't a division, how about a clear parallel from 2015 of Adam Lind serial numbered to 10. Lind only spent the 2015 season with Milwaukee, and he put up a pretty good season for the crew. 

Even better is the fact that the Brewers then flipped him to Seattle and got pitcher Freddy Peralta for him. Peralta is a small Dominican -- 5'11", 175 pounds -- who has some issues with control but who strikes out seemingly everyone he faces. Last year in a season split between high-A Carolina and AA Biloxi, he walked 4.7 guys per nine innings but struck out 12.7 guys per nine while giving up just 5.8 hits per nine. That's electric stuff. Peralta struck out 33.4% of the batters he faces last year, trailing only A.J. Puk. And Peralta is a year younger than Puk. Peralta is high risk, high reward -- either a number 2 starter, or bullpen fodder.


I do hope that Lou Reed does not become Peralta's theme song and that Peralta can get his wild side under control. Also, I hope that we're not talking about Peralta coming from Florida and shaving his legs to become a she. 

Matt, thanks for the great cards and the excuse to dive into some Walk songs. 

7 comments:

  1. Let's hope this Peralta is better than the last one the Brewers had! His size reminds me a Pedro; and with that kind of K-rate sounds like him too. Let's hope he can get some more control because we need the next exciting pitcher to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last Peralta looked liked he dined on guys the size of this Peralta.

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately for Adam Lind, his name is on the wrong end of a Google search right now. Apparently, there is a separate Adam Lind from "Teen Mom 2" who has been charged with domestic assault against said Teen Mom 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah, I saw that while pulling up Lind's B-R page to make sure that I had the year that he played in Milwaukee correct. I was like, "not the same guy, right? Right?!"

      Delete
    2. Adam Lind is also a Non-Playable Character in World Of Warcraft..

      Delete
  3. I've accumulated weird parallels in two ways. First, back in the early 2000's when their was a card shop in my area I would often buy the contents of someones box break minus the "hits." Even parallels like the Sheets were included in this pot luck of base awesomeness.

    Most of my trade bait today is purchased from a handful of eBay sellers that offer free or reduced shipping for multi card orders. Usually that seller has a Pirate card I want and then I start looking at other auctions.

    The Hader is special in that it was one of my first Twitter purchases. I haven't been on Twitter super long so I'm still filtering "card people" that are worth following. At first I would follow lots of Twitter sellers but have pretty much narrowed to the one I bought the Hader off of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've wanted one of those 2015 Topps clear parallels are fantastic! And I hadn't listened to Jesus Walks in probably 5 years. Great walk down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete