Sunday, February 12, 2017

Late December Card Show Post, Part I

Last night, I was working on my Bowman parallel want list for 2014 -- bindering up what I have, putting in markers in sheets for what I don't have, and generally muttering under my breath at the multiplicity of parallels -- and I started getting bored of my musical selections. So, I reached out to the Twitter world and asked for recommendations. 

In response, I now have well over 50 recommendations for songs, albums, and artists to try out and see what I think. My thanks go out to Crackin' Wax, Zippy Zappy, Dayf, and Mark Hoyle for their suggestions. Thanks to them, this post and the next one will feature music I'm listening to for the first time.

So, what's this post about? On December 30, my local card show popped up on a Saturday to avoid New Year's Eve and hit the after-Christmas pocketbooks. Thanks to my in-laws, I had some extra money in my pocket for Christmas and my birthday (December 27...y'all missed out on a great barbecue lunch in Columbus, Georgia). I had not gone to a show in a while for multiple reasons -- time being the biggest one. 

This trip yielded some great cards, as always. I did not scan all the cards I got -- largely because I simply lost track of which ones I got at the show as they got mixed into other stacks. For instance, I did not scan the 2016 Heritage Mini (serial numbered to 100) of Ryan Braun that I found in a quarter box. Oops. Should have done that.

Cue the music:


Mark Hoyle recommended that I check out Storyville (among about 35 other bands!). This song is from an Austin City Limits taping from 1998.  Storyville was an active band for about 6 or 7 years starting in 1994. According to Wikipedia, the band formed out of the remnants of Arc Angels (another Hoyle recommendation) and Stevie Ray Vaughan's rhythm section.

It should not be a big surprise that this is an Austin, Texas band. Austin calls itself the Live Music Capital of the World. I've been to Austin a few times now (my brother-in-law and sister-in-law live there and I have been to two ABA conferences there as well), and the times I have seen live music there, it has been excellent and inexpensive. As this list shows, Austin's music is diverse too: everything from Storyville to the Dixie Chicks to Willie Nelson to Butthole Surfers to Fastball to Janis Joplin to Spoon all came out of Austin. 


Let's start with a few vintage Milwaukee Braves cards that I picked up -- appropriately for music suggested by the vintage king Mark. I think these probably cost more than nearly all the rest of the cards I bought due to age and/or Hall of Fame status being involved. Of the three, I think the Mathews actually cost the least -- likely due to the creases -- and the Logan was the most expensive with it being something of a high-number in 1961. 


Another Mark Hoyle recommendation -- one seconded by Matthew Scott of Bob Walk the Plank -- is Joe Bonamassa. I think you can see from these two recommendations alone what kind of music Mark really likes: southern rock/blues. There are times when I get in the mood for music like this. To me, this type of music is best seen and heard live rather than through music videos, so finding shows on YouTube is a great way to experience this.


The rest of the Braves that I bought at the card show. I got the two Aaron career retrospective cards at the same time as I got the other three older cards above. The Warren Spahn card at the bottom is my first card from the 1983 ASA Warren Spahn set. Now, I just need to find the other 12 cards in the set -- including another two copies of card 6 (featuring Warren with Fred Haney, Bobby Thomson, and Lew Burdette) and finding one of the autographed card 1 -- and the red border variation of the entire set. So, then, that'll be fun.


NPR has a ton of these "Tiny Desk Concert" videos on YouTube. Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks are a married couple whose musical talent individually is incredible and together is just awesome. I've heard of them before Mark suggested taking a listen. 

As I said before, listening to bands like this live is the best way to take them in. If you are a fan of Tedeschi Trucks, hopefully you have discovered the ridiculous library of live shows freely available on Archive.org -- there are 478 results for Tedeschi Trucks on Archive, though of course not all of them are actually them. But if you like the band, you owe it to yourself to give a listen there.


I was lucky to find three Gary Carter cards to add to my collection at the show, including two from the 2005 Donruss Throwback Threads set. The 2016 Archives card, though, just looks wrong to me. Why? The 1991 set did not use the M logo for Montreal -- just the Expos name. I'm sure that's been mentioned elsewhere before, but it still bugs me.

Okay, let's change gears here a little bit and go to a couple of musical recommendations from Dayf from Card Junk.


Dave recommended albums rather than bands. One of the albums he recommended was The North Borders by Bonobo. It's very different from the blues that Mark Hoyle favors, of course, but I'm digging this too. The first song, "First Fires," is soothing -- perfect for me to listen to on a Sunday morning while typing up a blog post. This one is going to get added to my listening library for sure. 


Out of a quarter or dime box -- not sure which -- came these three mid-90s Molitors, including that Pinnacle die-cut insert. My Molitor collection is one I'm still a bit up in the air about. Every time I see cards like these of Molitor not on the Brewers, it kind of pisses me off all over again about his free agency in the early 1990s. It's easy to second guess and say, "yeah, of course the Brewers should have known that Molitor would play another 6 years." 

It would have been easier to take if Molitor went to Minnesota first and stayed there. That would have been much more understandable -- after all, the Brewers did try hard to bring him back after his Toronto contract ended, but the lure of playing at home in front of his hometown fans won out.


Fantastic Plastic Machine is another Dave suggestion. This video was an easy one to pick out from the list of potential videos to show for obvious reasons. To be fair, this song is not on the album that Dave suggested I listen to (which was FPM's first album) but come on -- isn't this better to have as the video?

When the music on this one started, I thought, "this kind of reminds me of some of the Japanese music that Zippy Zappy was listening to." Then, I found out that FPM is a Japanese musician named Tomoyuki Tanaka. I guess sometimes you can figure out things about a musician just by listening to their music?


These are the last cards for today's post -- the Upper Deck cards I picked up. I know almost all of these were in a 6 for $1 box. It is always good when I can add a Ryan Braun serial-numbered card for less than 20 cents. Those "A Piece of History" cards leave me chasing only a couple of cards for the 2009 set. 

Of course, I still haven't gotten around to cataloging what Upper Deck inserts I need, so I haven't got a clue where I stand on the "Cut from the Same Cloth" or the season biography cards. 

Thanks for stopping by today. You'll be hearing a bit more of the musical suggestions as the week goes on -- so thank you to those four gentlemen for the help!

3 comments:

  1. Can confirm that Johnny Logan card is tough to find.
    Stoopid high numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Storyville may be the best band nobodies heard of. Before playing with SRV they were Johnny Winters rhythm section. Austin is on my list to visit. The 59 Matthews is a beauty

    ReplyDelete