Thursday, September 10, 2015

Cards from Bob Walk the Plank

Not too long ago, I didn't have much to write about. Now, all of a sudden, I have plenty of things to write about and about one-tenth the time to write about them.  

I'm not complaining about either thing.

About two days after I got cards from the Bubblegum King in Tampa, a bubble mailer from Morgantown appeared.  Matt breaks more boxes of cards in a month than I buy in a year. Sometimes I feel like he's Ric Flair to my Dusty Rhodes (RIP, Dusty):


I can almost picture Matt saying "I've spent more on cards I've given away than you've spent on your entire collection. WOO!"

So, why the hell not.  Let's use some of Slick Ric's interviews to introduce these cards.

Stylin' and Profilin'


It makes me chuckle that I believe Tony Schiavone is the guy to whom Flair is talking. For the past nearly twenty years (or more), Schiavone is a fill-in sports guy on a radio station here. He also is the radio voice for the Gwinnett Braves.

Flair was talking smack here back on March 8, 1986 about how guys like Ronnie Garvin didn't have a belt.  I love the intro here, though, as he walks in and starts with "Stylin' and Profilin'! Woo!"  

Like these two cards:



Two awesome autographs from the Panini Hometown Heroes set from 2013.  I don't really like the base set cards -- they are bland, yellow backgrounds with cards that don't feature anything like a Brewers uniform color on them.

"Ric Flair's Best WCW promo ever!"


This promo starts with Flair talking $hit about his son joining the NWO of Buff Bagwell, Scott Hall, and a few others. The main part of the promo is Flair talking about his upcoming cage match with Hulk Hogan.  

Flair really was one of the greatest talkers that the wrestling world ever saw.  This promo show how awesome Flair was at selling a match -- not that anyone needed to be sold on a Hogan/Flair match -- but man, he was awesome in this promo.

Again, kind of like this card is just an awesome...1 of 1 awesome, that is!


It's a 2012 Allen & Ginter mini printing plate of Yovani Gallardo! Gallardo has had a solid year for the Rangers this year, and I hope he keeps pitching well.

"To Be The Man..."

It's a quote I use pretty regularly.  Well, sort of...when the opportunity arises I do.


"To be the man, you gotta beat the man, Woo!"

Now, I know that Robin Yount won the MVP twice, and he is definitely one of my all-time favorite players.  He's my main player collection because of that, the HOF, the 3000 hits, and the full career spent in Milwaukee.  

But Paul Molitor always seemed like a more integral player. 


The team seemed to struggle without him in the lineup -- and well they should with losing the on-base percentage that Molitor brought with him. I recall Bill James calling Molitor one of (if not the) most fundamentally sound ballplayer in the 1980s. It shouldn't be surprising that he is succeeding in being the Twins manager, currently standing 5 games over .500 coming off four straight seasons of just dismal performances.

Matt, you are the man...I can't beat that!  Thank you very much, my friend.

7 comments:

  1. Molitor deserves a fair share of credit for the Twins' success this year, I'd split it with new pitching coach Neil Allen, as well as the Starting Pitching taking turns being really good and of course the second half is pretty much 90% Miguel Sano. Busting up a losing culture ain't easy, but Molitor (and player "coach" Torii Hunter) has done a very nice job of managing his players.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see them back on the map, I saw Gardy might be getting a new job soon too.

      As usual Matt drops bombs around here.

      Delete
    2. Good to see them back on the map, I saw Gardy might be getting a new job soon too.

      As usual Matt drops bombs around here.

      Delete
  2. This made me laugh. I loved Flair growing up. Glad you liked everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my friends moms in high school would tell us about how she slept with the Nature Boy as a lass in front of her husband. Great story

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my friends moms in high school would tell us about how she slept with the Nature Boy as a lass in front of her husband. Great story

    ReplyDelete