Tuesday, March 28, 2017

The 30-Day Baseball Card Challenge

As I mentioned in my post about the cards from Night Owl, a lot of us on Twitter have been engaging in the 30-Day music challenge. It's a list of categories that you're supposed to run through on a fairly daily basis to identify various songs that come to mind. Day 1, for example is "A song you like with a color in the title." Others get more personal, like, "A song that breaks your heart."

Since I threw the idea out at the end of that post, I thought I'd take a first cut at putting together a similar list for baseball cards. I personally am going to use this list as blog fodder when I am lacking in trade posts -- which will come soon, based on my own lack of time lately to put packages together -- and when I'm not feeling up to a full research post for "Meet the Brewers." The Meet the Brewers posts will begin again soon, but it may be a month or so before I start them up again, so I need a little bit of other stuff to post about.

So, here goes -- here's the list.


For what it's worth, I gave it a background of a photo found through a Google Image Search of the old Milwaukee County Stadium -- the stadium against which all others are measured in my book.

Feel free to share it on Twitter, use it in your blog posts (with or without attribution -- I don't care), tweak it further to improve it, change categories to fit your sport -- whatever makes you happy. If you do decide to use it on your blog, would you be so kind as to leave a message below, though? I'm thinking that there are, again, a whole host of new blogs that I'm missing out on so any new ones I can add to my list will be appreciated.

In some respects, I hope that this encourages more interaction via the blogs than at least I have had in recent months. Much of that is my own fault -- being too busy does that. But I have seen folks lament the old days of the "blog bat arounds" and thought this might be an idea to that end as well.

Day 1

Day 1 on the list is "A card from the current year with a photo you like."

Because I have only really seen a very limited number of cards -- the Brewers cards from Series 1 Flagship and from Heritage in particular -- I have a limited number to choose from at this point. As I said on Twitter, I went with the future.


This is the 2017 Topps Gold Orlando Arcia card, serial numbered and all. I'm itching to start another player collection soon, and Arcia is in the mix for that "honor." As he continues to develop this year, we will see if he starts to solidify a position in that mix or if, instead, he needs to start looking over his shoulder for Mauricio Dubon and Isan Diaz.

For what it's worth, the guys I view as possible new player collections for me are:

1. Brett Phillips
2. Orlando Arcia
3. Jonathan Villar
4. Lewis Brinson
5. Isan Diaz
6. Josh Hader
7. Wily Peralta (he's still hanging around, after all)
8. Zach Davies
9. Lucas Erceg

Erceg, in particular, is a guy who I think could move up quickly through the Brewers system and make an impact in the major leagues sooner than might otherwise be expected. Not that I'm a prospect guru, mind you, but as long as he can avoid trouble and adjust as needed, he just looks the part.


At any rate, I hope y'all will take part at your leisure in the 30-Day baseball challenge. Thanks for stopping by.

28 comments:

  1. I love this idea and hope to do it as a blog in the near future. The only tweak I might make is I might do a few days at a time since I'm not blogging as much lately. Maybe do it over 5 posts doing 6 at a time. When I do start it I will link to this post and I'll send you a tweet of it. I've already retweeted this post and hopefully this will get me in the mood to start blogging again. Thanks again for the great idea. I only wish I had seen that music one sooner, I would have been all over that, and I still might be too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great thing, JH, is that there isn't a specific date tied to either this or the music one. Start when you want. Do it how you want. Take whatever time it takes to finish. Whatever works best for you is how to do it.

      Delete
  2. Would love to participate, but can't during my busy coaching season. I do look forward to reading all the posts though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always put it off until you have time after your coaching season is complete...

      Delete
  3. Tony, thank you for organizing the challenge and coming up with the ideas. I'm going to try to tweet every day and randomly blog about some cards, too. You've made it so that I can't choose all Darryl Strawberry cards, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fantastic concept and I think I will likely mod it similar to Jupiterhill's suggestion and make a weekly post vs. a daily tweet or single card post. That's the beauty part, though, any pace is the right pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. made my first post (day 1)
      http://subjectiveandarbitrary.blogspot.com/2017/04/day-one-tyler-naquin-2017-topps-series.html

      Delete
  5. I'm totally stealing this! I love the old County Stadium with the new Miller Park in the background. I for one have kind of already gone all in with Arcia, but the nice thing is everyone on your list has autos under $5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dammit I keep forgetting to see if my wife's logged in. LOL, still stealing it.

      Delete
  6. At the very least I'll answer the tweets.. I may actually use this for Blog fodder as well.. I have some other ideas, but this works on those days I need something quick.. Like tonight.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good idea. Not really sure how to incorporate into the blog. Seems more like a tweet-a-day thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be better for blogging if the topics get turned into a top 5 or 10 or something like that. Then it could have enough content for a blog, I suppose.

      Delete
  8. I'm in...but I don't have the schedule to do a post a day. Also, I'll have to modify it to fit my collection. I'm thinking 5 per post over a 6 post series...but time will tell. This should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have fun with it, Billy!

      Delete
    2. I decided that I would do 30 posts, they just won't be consecutive...I'm having fun with it already!

      Delete
    3. That's how I'm going about it. Most will be in order, but I will have others mixed in.

      Delete
  9. I'll forgo the challenge... since my life is a little crazy right now. However the topics are so awesome, that I'd love to use them for blog posts. Is it cool if I turn it into the 30 week challenge instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, Fuji! Maybe you can make it a top 5 for each topic on a Sunday afternoon post or something. That's the fun of it!

      Delete
  10. I like the idea too and this sounds like a lot of fun. I'll have to do some digging in my collection and figure out if I'll have time to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in! Won't be a post a day but will be a regular feature for me for sure. Some of these posts will definitely require some thought. I don't understand the difference between Day 3 and Day 17 though. Can you clarify? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thought on 3 vs. 17 is that I tried to complete one set hand collated as a kid but never finished it. It took four years after that for me to complete my first set hand collated. Perhaps that's just my experience, so if you completed the first one you tried, maybe you can make Day 17 your "wild card" day to post a card out of some other category that you like.

      Delete
  12. Saw this "challenge" on another blog http://collectorscrack.blogspot.com/ For me this challenge would be way too difficult, and would likely be more like a year long challenge spread out or a decade challenge. IT would take me plenty of planning to get it into a daily format. Plus my collection runs across most of the sports and non-sports so picking a Baseball candidate would again take a ton of planning that I am not ready to do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I decided to combine this challenge with the same music challenge you posted about. It will take a little more work but I think it will provide for some interesting cohesion between the cards and songs. I've already picked out material through day 10 and so far the cards and songs match up rather well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm in and my first will post overnight!

    Won't be daily, but it should be pretty close.

    -kin
    http://ifeellikeacollectoragain.blogspot.com/
    @beansbcardblog

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going to be in on his for sure. Though I can see it potentially being difficult to generate enough content for each topic for a 'complete' post. I'm sure going to try though. I'm really looking forward to doing this and to reading the various responses across our community. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just started using this myself. I'm glad I reread this post as I may use the multi sport angle to fit some hockey cards in as well.

    Great idea Tony!

    ReplyDelete