Monday, March 2, 2015

Beer Can Braves

Are you an aficionado of good beer? Do you like baseball -- preferably the Atlanta Braves? Then local Atlanta craft brewer Sweetwater Brewing Company has got a deal for you.  Sweetwater has teamed up with the Atlanta Braves to issue special commemorative packaging and cans for this summer.  Here's a look:


You might be wondering why, on a baseball card blog, I'd sound like a complete shill for Sweetwater Brewing.  Well, there's the obvious baseball tie-in for the Braves. But, I have been seeing a lot of Braves tie-ins lately to beer and beer-related items.

So, while I sort through all of the cards I've gotten recently from friends in the blogosphere and from the my local card show, I wanted to pose this question:

If you are a team collector, do you collect these types of items?

If you are a player collector, do you seek out oddballs like this?

From my perspective, as a Brewers collector, if something like this were to pop up and was readily available, I would probably pick it up or seek to have a relative in Wisconsin get it if they could.  If the item was one of my main guys -- Spahn, Mathews, Adcock, Carter, Yount, Molitor, Braun, Segura, Lucroy, or Gomez -- I'd probably try to get my hands on it.

Now, my question to you out-of-town Braves fans who might not have Sweetwater available to you:

Should I sacrifice my liver and drink some beer so you can have a nice Braves collectible box like this?

Note: I would happily drink this beer with or without the Braves logos on them!

Let me know your thoughts!

10 comments:

  1. Oh, absolutely! I love Orioles-related oddball items. I don't collect them like I used to, mostly because I no longer get to Baltimore every summer as I did in the 70s and 80s. I have all kinds of things, soda cans to matchbooks and everything in between.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice promo. I'm guessing that Braves fans are going to need this beer to drown their sorrows this year.

    As a team collector I wouldn't seek out items like this (hard to track down and take up more space than I'd like).
    As a player collector I'd probably seek out a can but give up if it doesn't show up on eBay.

    As a human I'd probably still drink the beer regardless of the baseball tie-ins. Unfortunately I don't live in Colorado or Washington (yet) so I have to make due.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, yes, Sweetwater 420 Pale Ale is named for exactly what you would think it is named.

      Delete
    2. Lol. I just noticed the 420 on the box hahaha.

      Delete
  3. Heck yeah... love me some food related... I mean beer related oddballs! Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a few things like that in my collection. IC Light does all kind of Pirate/Steeler/Penguin cans all the time. Pretty cool that a micro brew is doing it. Much rather drink that IPA than an IC LIght.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As kids, my brother and I collected beer cans. I know we had several of those IC cans from the mid-to-late 1970s of the Penguins and the Steelers. No Pirates that I recall, though.

      Delete
  5. Wifey and I first had Sweetwater at Bonnaroo 2008 and fell in love. Just last year they finally started distribution here in NOLA, so we've been snapping it up at every opportunity. Great beer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel pretty lucky that I can say that I have been drinking Sweetwater for about as long as it has been around -- 18 years now. I first recall drinking it in about 1998 or so when the beer found its way to Athens, and I've been a big fan ever since.

      Delete
  6. Definitely would add an item like this to my collection

    ReplyDelete