Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Gint-A-Cuffs VI: Packs 19, 20, and 21

Only two more posts and six more packs to go for me in the Gint-A-Cuffs VI competition.  I'm pretty sure that I won't be winning the competition, but at least I've gotten some trade bait out of this endeavor.  And, it was a good excuse to buy a hobby box or two of the A&G.  

I just wish I would get a Robin Yount.  

To refresh memories, including my own, this box has accumulated 129.6 points through pack 18.  Yesterday's packs pretty much sucked, but on the bright side, there's still a box hit left.


Let's jump right in.

Pack 19


I got three cards worth two points a piece. There's the Air Supremacy full-size V-22 Osprey, followed by a John Smoltz short print that is turned the other way because Smoltzie is embarrassed about the Braves 0-8 road trip out west, and finally the R.A. Dickey A&G back mini, #300, which totally faked me out into thinking "short print" when I first looked at it. 

Pack total of 6 points.That's pretty much my average pack at this point.

TOTAL POINTS: 135.6

Pack 20:



And there's my final "hit".  To be fair, I rather like the cloth swatch in the card.  I would like it if I were buying the damn shirt and not getting it as a "relic" in a baseball card set.  The least that they could have done with the card was given us an air date for when Schefter wore it on camera.  

I know, that's a whole lot of complaining for 8 points.  The rest of the pack is actually a little better.  The Clemente black bordered is a 3 point card, and the King Felix Pastime's Pastime (Philanthropist) is 2 points.  Total of 13 points for the pack.

TOTAL POINTS: 148.6

Pack 21





It's a mixed bag.  Four cards score, but two cancel each other out.  Braun (+1 for Favorite Team) and Maris (-1 for Yankee) mean that this pack is a four-pointer for Seager's Mini A&G back and Panda's Pastime's Pastime -- jokester.  

TOTAL POINTS: 152.6

Without a "homerun" final hit, this box is crawling and limping to the finish line.  I've found all three hits, and they were nearly as basic as the hits get, with Diana Nyad's signed, framed mini autograph being the only "bonus" involved.  

In other words, it's just not going to be enough to get me near the top.  But, with just three packs to go, I'll finish this out tomorrow and return to more normal programming.  

After all, I've gotten some cards in the mail again!

1 comment: